Monday, August 12, 2013

FAMILY TIME

I cannot believe August is here already. The summer (in my opinion) just flew by so quickly. The weather here is cooling slightly (still warm compared to most). I love fall, although I always hate to see summer go. My girls are just loving flip flops and summer dresses right now and my allergies are taking a beating from all the weather changes.

The Peanut started Kindergarten last week. They start pretty early here in northern California. She handled it "okay" I guess. The second day was the hardest but she's a really smart kid and once they get into a groove of actually "learning" things, I think she'll just love school. I did. I could not wait to read and learn (what happened?! ha).

When I asked her if she read the note that I left in her lunch box she was quick to say "Mom! They didn't teach us reading yet!" Smarty pants.

The Peanut with her lunch box and backpack!
So cute - notice her "bicycle dress!"

Squeaker is doing great, she's such a jabber box at times and quite soft spoken at others. She has a personality that is not to be challenged! Getting dressed is her"thing" as she prefers to pick out her clothes which usually involves a skirt/tutu of sorts and some kind of shirt that either has animals on the front OR is the color pink. Don't you dare try and dress her in anything different.

Our little fashionista!
 
As for running, I am still managing a run every weekend usually The Ridge Loop of Death. That seems to be the perfect mileage for my ankle right now. Some days I run it fast and don't walk the big hill and other times I just run it at whatever pace I can manage. I ran it this past Saturday afternoon when the temps were well into the 90s and there was no shade coverage. It was brutal but still a great run.

Every morning at 5 am I go to Breakout Fitness and work my core, upper and lower body with Diane. I've been doing this for over a year now and finally am really seeing some results. Some that I like and some that I need a little time to get used to. My body tends to pack on muscle very easily vs leaning out with muscle. I probably need to tweak my diet a little bit and incorporate more yoga. I did attend a Bikram Yoga session last week. That was the first time in months and although quite a few poses were a little bit impossible difficult because of my ankle, it felt great to sweat that much and get into some deep stretches.  I am planning to attend once a week (I have a Groupon that I need use up).

Vans has a big Century ride this weekend, despite some ailments with his achilles and knee lately. He is off to do this one by himself while I stay home and have a night and a day with my girls. Not sure what is planned but they are a riot. They keep me on my toes and make me laugh constantly. Just this past weekend we had a variety of funny moments.

Breakfast at Peet's Coffee

On Sunday I took the girls to Peet's Coffee before a scheduled play date. Normally I get the Peanut soy milk, with one shot of chocolate in it (as a treat) and Squeaker usually drinks water as she has Almond Milk at home but we had run out. Needless to say, she really wanted "milk" that morning. So I asked the server at Peet's to make one kids warm chocolate soy milk but to split it in half between two cups (as this is way too much chocolate and soy to begin with). I told Squeaker, as I handed it to her that it was "warm chocolate milk" as she had never had this before. She took a sip. Put the cup down. Looked at me. Looked at the cup. Looked at me again and goes, "GOOD MILK!" haha Oh boy.

Later that evening the whole family made a trip to Whole Foods (had to buy more Almond Milk - duh) and we sat in the Bier Garten with friends and listened to a local high school girl play the piano and sing. My girls were mesmerized! The were in awe of this young girl and so was I.

Sitting up close to the stage (that you can't see).

I love that my girls love each other so much. The Peanut is an amazing big sister. Yes, she has her moments when Squeaker pushes her buttons, but she always watches out for her, always. I cannot wait to see how they grow up. I can only hope, they always remain close and love each other as best friends and sisters.

Love.

However that's not to say I am totally blind to what lies ahead as well. The Peanut is smart and picks up on everything rather quickly and Squeaker is a dare devil with a flare for being the funny girl in the situation.

As cute as this photo is, it also scares me ... she's way too happy to pose in her tutu swim suit!
It is borderline Sports Illustrated Toddler Style if you ask me. :-)