Tuesday, November 9, 2010

APPLE HILL HARVEST RUN

This race report is a little bit late because someone misplaced the camera.

This past Sunday was the Apple Hill Harvest Run. We did this run last year as a family with some friends and had a blast. Vans ran the 3.5 mile race last year and I ran it un-timed with the Peanut in the jogger. After the race we all enjoyed some snacks while the kids played on the playground near by. The weather was glorious.

This year? Well, picture the complete opposite. First issue was that it was daylight savings and normally I am a daylight savings junkie turning all our clocks back the night before making sure every single clock is changed. This year, I apparently have been way too busy and preoccupied that I had no idea it was even daylight savings time.

Needless to say, we all went to bed and then we all woke up at 7 am rushing around to be out the door by 7:30 so that we could make the long drive up to Apple Hill. Just as we were about to jump in the car I realized that it was daylight savings and we were a whole hour early! Vans was not thrilled as he could have used another hour of sleep. Oops.

We decided to hit the road regardless and just take our time and stop at a local Starbucks. The minute we hit the road the rain came down in sheets and buckets. The road was drenched and the wind was gusty. I kept thinking "oh man, I have to run in this?!"

When we finally got to Apple Hill I still needed to pick up my packet and get my bib. We were not quite sure how far we were parked from the race start but since it was down pouring outside, I decided to run and get my stuff and then come back to the car to tell Vans just how far from the start we were.

Holy cow was I soaked when I returned. It was raining that hard and not letting up. Vans and I decided that I'd run the race and he and the Peanut would stay put in the car where it was warm and dry. No sense all of us getting soaked and being miserable.

Of course the Starbucks and just sitting in the car made things a bit uncomfortable and so I had to take care of business by the car. Vans thought this was funny.


Shortly after I left for the race start. I found shelter under a tent briefly while the 8.5 milers started first. The number of runners was definitely lower compared to last year yet everyone that was out seemed amused by the rain. I don't mind running in the rain really but I do prefer being able to go home right away to warm up which I could not do after this race.

The race itself was uneventful. The hills are brutal on this course and I seemed to have forgotten that. I struggled on some of the climbs and all I kept thinking was "how on earth did I push a 25 lb toddler in a stroller last year?!" I don't recall my times or splits and I don't really care. I wasn't really racing. It just felt great to be running in a race.

Lucky for Vans and the Peanut, the 8.5 mile course ran right by our car giving them something to watch while I was out running too.

Raining so hard

Watching the runners

When I crossed the finished I chatted with a few friends who had also come out and then I high-tailed it to the car for some dry clothes and shelter.

Soaked to the bone

aaaah warm clothes!

I think this was probably the first time ever I have actually worn the race shirt the same day it was given. I had to, it was the warmest thing I had!

We left right away. I was shivering uncontrollably and made Vans stop at Peet's in El Dorado Hills so I could drink the hottest coffee I could find.

Overall, despite the horrible conditions, I still had fun and I have no doubts we'll be back next year regardless of the weather. Vans had already declared that next year is his turn to race and hopefully he'll no longer be injured and will be able to race.

The bonus for us next year is that our new home is only 30 minutes from Apple Hill so we can all sleep in a little later as long as we don't forget about daylight savings!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a great race! Definately have to put that on my list for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job sounds like you had a lot of fun! Love the photos by the way.

    ReplyDelete